Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life Lessons

I've been serving as young women's president for a little over a year in my quirky yet cozy ward in Cherry Hill 2-- And although I used to dread it, I have the opportunity to teach the miamaid/laurel classes.  This past Sunday the lesson was on changes-preparing for the assumed/expected, & adapting to life's hiccups along the way. We talked about sickness, weddings, deaths, births, and discussing how we "gladly accepted our challenges in the preexistence". Powerful Lesson. I didn't know that I would actually be thinking about the quotes I lovingly pasted to their handouts.

Since that very lesson I haven't been able to keep anything in my body! Upcoming diet-I think I'll call it N/V/D, (loose 5 lbs in 2 days!) I've spent so much time in the bathroom that I've actually been thinking about new color schemes and subway tile -it even inspired a Home Depot date! Rob can't wait...

Something that I was preparing for but didn't want to think about....the two year lifespan of my overweight fuzzy friend Maisy was quickly approaching. (Call me crazy but I needed a pet!! ) Tonight Rob & I held our fragile panda hamster as she took her last few gasping breaths. As nurses we've seen several people take their last breath (Rob takes a weekly trip to the morgue) and we were surprised to be a little misty eyed as we watched her go. Funny how you can get attached so easily. I guess when you witness a little baby grow into an adult and an old lady-you come to love all of their little preferences (sliced almonds, pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, extra fluff for bedding). It was inevitable. I'm glad I had the chance to spoil her rotten with the finest of hamster things (spacious 3 level cage, every chew toy on the market, pink sparkle hamster ball,finest cotton fluff...)

Although it's been kind of a crappy week here at the Card home, the lesson I taught/learned actually helped me laugh at myself and life a little more...& I'll have to be careful of what lesson I signed myself up for next week...
I thought this was interesting:   http://www.smallpetfuneralset.com/

No comments: